Archive for the ‘mosaic’ Category
Photo above: Bunny Mosaic Lazy Susan
Today’s interview is with Mel from Fischer Fine Arts. Her shops are full of amazingly beautiful mosaic and fine art!
Tell us about your store. What kind of items do you offer?
My daughters, Aimée and Charlee Fischer, and I create mosaics, paint, as well as do photography. We currently are offering prints of our artworks and mosaic home decor and jewelry and we are expanding to include our artworks on other items such as mugs, mousepads, greeting cards, throw pillows, etc.
How long have you had an interest in creating fine art and mosaic art?
I’ve always had an interest in art. My grandmother and mother constantly had various arts projects for my sisters and I to work on. Early on, I mostly drew and painted and but wasn’t until about 8 years ago that I delved into mosaics. My older daughter gave me a mosaic stepping stone kit as a gift and it prompted me to actually start working on mosaics, which I had always wanted to do since I first saw some spectacular ones in Europe.
How did you get started? Did you start by experimenting around, or did you take a class and go from there?
As my interest in art grew, I took classes, read books and took private lessons. I love to experiment and try new things, whether it’s using a different technique, materials or medium.
Photo above: Mosaic Apple
Are there any particular mediums you like working with?
I love finding unusual items to mosaic on or with, especially things I can upcycle, such as old broken jewelry. For painting, I especially love watercolors. The way the colors blend together and a lot of the interesting effects you can achieve in layering really appeals to me.
Is there anything you eventually want to get in to and master?
I would love to learn how to create pottery, create sculptures, fused glass as well as creating items out of precious metal clays, such as my own unique bezels. It would be a lot of fun to create my own tiles, too, for mosaics.
What do you like to do in your spare time?
Aside from spending time with my daughters, reading is perhaps my number one passion. I love to garden and find it very therapeutic. I love to cook, especially gourmet foods.
What’s a question you wish I would’ve asked? And please answer that question.
Who inspires you the most and why? My mother and grandmother have inspired me the most. They’ve taught me to believe in myself, what I do and not to be afraid of challenging myself.
Photo above: Magenta Abstract Sunset Print
Please include ten fun facts about yourself. (Example, I like black jelly beans; I love “24;” etc).
1) I have very long toes. People used to tease me about them and called them “monkey toes”. When I was young, I used to practice writing and drawing by holding a pencil between my toes.
2) I have a hard time falling asleep unless I read for a while. It helps clear my mind from work and day to day ‘brain clutter’.
3) Inspiration and ideas often come to me at the oddest times so I always have paper and a pen/pencil to scribble down notes or make a quick sketch. Some of my best ideas come to me in dreams, too, so I have to have paper and pencil handy.
4) I played violin for over 20 years.
5) HGTV and Food Network are my favorite TV channels to watch.
6) I lived in Europe for 6 years.
7) I was a nanny for a year, caring for 4 children ranging from 6 months old to 9 years old.
8) My favorite foods are steak and crab.
9) As much as I love to mosaic, I dislike grouting as it’s very messy.
10) By the time I was 30, I had moved over 25 times. I am certainly not planning on moving any time soon!
Please list the urls to your website, blog, and/or online shop, social media, etc.
Moustached Steampunk Rabbit – Watercolor